Tuesday, July 6, 2021

The utility room remodel

 After the welding, I got into putting the finishing touches on the utility room. The washer/dryer and the salvaged cabinet weren't exactly in the most efficient arrangement. So I made some improvements to those and installed nicer tub hardware.

The partition was framed using pocket screws and 2x4s on the flat side, sheathed in cabinet grade plywood. I left an opening for cleanout access. Here's the inside view:
For stability, I anchored an angle iron bracket to the floor and notched out the framing with a router. The top was toenailed into the truss above and the side was "glued" to the wall with expanding foam. This made for a really secure fit.
 Here it is in place and mudded
...Trimmed and primed...
Here's the cabinet I got at the ReStore, boxed in
And here they are all painted and tiled
 
 
Ideally there would've been space enough to box in the whole washer/dryer, but the floor plan would only allow for this much wall unless I wanted to remove the toilet whenever this needed work. I think this looks pretty good as is, though.

Definitely a step up from the economy clawfoot tub hardware

And here it is in action, utility sink and all
 (the ironing board soon found a home hanging on the wall)

After I finished this, I headed to Montana for a crash course in fine cabinetry and millwork. More on that in the next post!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you will.